Monday, September 21, 2015

Into the Night


Mornings were something that I actually looked forward to. I would wake up early, have some time to myself, and get ready for the day ahead. I felt like I would have the best day if I were able to wake up on my own and have a few minutes to sit and drink my coffee and figure out what I had to do on that particular day. I would feel a sense of relief once I began in that same routine each morning. I was never into making a long day by staying up until the wee hours of the morning. I could head to bed and be asleep by ten at the latest, which made that early morning routine that much easier.

Now? Mornings are a thing of the past. If I would have ever thought that I would be at a place where I would have to work nights, I would have laughed at the thought. Not only am I working a job that requires nights, but it's shift work and requires weekends too. I willingly gave up my Monday through Friday job working from 0730am to 4pm to work twelve hour shifts with a rotation schedule that requires me to work every other weekend. 

Guess what? I love it...most days anyway ;)

Are there days where I wished I could work daylight hours? Absolutely. Are there days (or nights) that I wish I could work a 'normal' Monday through Friday schedule. Absolutely. Are there days where I just can't seem to make up my mind as to what I would like to do? Again, I'd be a total fool to think that I'm completely ok with everything about night shift work, but the thing is, it works well for me (most days anyway!)

Switching my work schedule to accommodate night shift work has been a feat that I have had to figure out slowly. It's been challenging, however, working nights with the shifts that I do work, has allowed me more free time to spend with family. Not only am I able to have days off during the week, I'm able to schedule appointments and other things that I might need to get done without having to take time off of work. I'm able to surprise the girls and eat lunch with them at school or pick them up from school. This schedule, while I may not rise and shine early in the morning very often anymore, allows me the freedom to have more quality time with those I value my time with.

With that said, this post will be live this morning, on a Monday. I'll give you one guess as to how my weekend was spent...

That's right, I worked, all weekend. I spent my entire weekend (the nights anyway) in jail. I slept the days away, or until I woke up in the afternoon, and headed into work to finish of my long week of working. I did manage to get in a little Christmas shopping, but it was a quick trip. I may have to work every other Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night, but I don't think that I would change that. At least not right now. I enjoy being able to have the freedom to have days off and while I may sacrifice a little sleep, I think it's worth it.

Here's to the start of my weekend...right now!

 photo name_zpskqzxwjcy.jpg

Linking up wit EmberGrey for Grateful Heart, Weekending, Monday Madness, Let It ShineMonday Mingle, Weekend Recap, Meet Up Monday, & BraveLoveBlog for Blog-tember today!

2 comments:

Post a Comment